Wednesday 11 May 2011

Wonderful views and a tumble

From Monday 9th May 2011

A great day's walking that started with a full English that I didn't want and ended with 2 pints of Jenning's Cumberland ale, vegetarian ravioli and apple pie and cream via a packed lunch.
I clearly told the campsite owners that I would like a light breakfast, maybe some cereal and a little scrambled egg and toast. So when I sat at my table and was told that I could help myself to a variety of cereals. So I loaded up my bowl with some delicious muesli and tropical fruit accompanied with lashings of milk. Two pieces of chunky toast, butter and jam followed. I was just finishing the second when I was introduced to a full English with 2 of everything including 2 eggs. Not wanting to appear rude, I limped through the feast. "Would you like some more toast dear?"
"No thank you. I've had plenty".
The truth was I was full enough to burst.
So, with that much fuel on board I was ready to tackle a full day's walking.
What followed was a picturesque yet gruelling walk along Ennerdale Water; a relentless route march along the River Liza; the steepest climb that I have ever tackled. When the group I was with were three quarters up the climb, the heavens opened and we were lashed by extremely painful hail. It soon after the hail stopped that I lost my balance, tried to compensate, failed to compensate and hurtled downwards onto my back, stones flying in all directions. I lay there waiting for the pain to start. There was no pain. I got to my feet, still no pain, brushed myself down and carried on walking.
At the end of the day I arrived at my campsite to find Trevor and Alfred alteady there. Trev recommended the Royal Oak and here I am, now on my third pint, unable to send this blog as there is no signal.
I must go back to the campsite to have a shower and turn in.

Take care.

Rob.
virginmoneygiving.com/RobSetter

No comments:

Post a Comment