Monday 16 May 2011

I love the caravanning life

Day 8. Sunday 14 May 2011 Keld to Reeth.
The wonderful people who own the marvellous Park House campsite gave Trevor, Alfred and me a marvellous send off by serving up delicious fried egg and bacon baguettes, piping hot tea and coffee (Alfred didn't have the drinks). I was sorry to leave, but there was no time to hang about. Trevor and I have agreed that we will do this leg of the journey together and then I would walk on my own from Reeth onwards. Walking on my own is part of my plan, but it's been a wonderful experience meeting many of my fellow walkers. Whether it's chatting as we try not to get lost, or having a laugh in the pub, I have really enjoyed getting to know them.
Alfred is struggling and the pads of his paws are being worn away by the wet conditions and the rough ground. He started the day wearing a pair of dog shoes on his front paws, but he tripped from time to time and after he'd got them wet, Trevor took them off. Alfred has done very well to have reached this far along the walk but it's starting to look like he may not make the finish.
On the subject of not finishing the walk, it has become very noticeable that there are fewer people walking over the last 2 or 3 days. There is a lot of limping going on and I have heard some horrendous stories of blisters the size of a fried egg. As for me, I am increasingly tired at the end of each walk and don't have enough time to recover before walking again. I don't have any blisters but the heel of my right foot is painful at times. My calves and ankles are aching constantly. But I do feel strong and mentally very focussed. I will finish this walk but I may be limping over the finishing line.


Anyway, it was a lovely walk and the rain stayed away. We met with Clive and Clare who joined me in a cup of tea and a slice of carrot cake. Trevor walked on as dogs were not allowed in the cafe. The route followed the River Swale in a picturesque 12 mile stroll. I arrived at the campsite at Reeth at about 4.30 pm. The owner likes coast to coast walkers and he let Trevor and me stay in a caravan each. Sheer luxury and a great opportunity to get some kit dried. Later we went to the Black Bull where I drank 3 pints of IPA and ate fishcakes, chips and salad, followed by gooseberry crumble and cream. Then back to my caravan to sleep some energy back into my system.
112 miles done and the end is distantly in sight.

Take care.

Rob

virginmoneygiving.com/RobSetter

1 comment:

  1. Well done. Rob. Keep it up and let's hope those blisters stay away

    ReplyDelete