Wednesday 11 May 2011

High expectations - accomplished

No mentions of the weather today apart from - it has been a perfect day for walking and climbing.
It was my tremendous luck to get into a conversation with a group who were staying at the same youth hostel as me. I learned that they were a bunch of climbers from North Wales. They told me that they were planning to climb Helvellyn (3113ft) if the wind was not too strong. Diving straight in, not giving myself to long to ponder the possible risks, I blurted out -
“Would you mind if I joined you?“
This morning at 9.00 sharp we set off. Bob, Joyce, Pauline, Linda, Brieda, Don, Douglas and I gradually climbed the lower slopes. Then it got steeper and steeper. All I could hear was my breathing. It was relentless, shattering and brilliant. When we reached the summit I was stunned by the 360 degree panoramic views. It was breathtaking and, for me, very moving. As I stood there marvelling at the enormity of the beauty that I was seeing, it suddenly hit me with a force that knocked me for six. I'll explain.
When, a few years ago, I had all the trouble with my heart, I never imagined that I would ever do anything even remotely like what I am trying to achieve now; and yet there I was, over 3000 feet up, glowing with tiredness and happiness. I don't mind saying that I took myself a few paces away from the group and had an emotional moment. This trip has already provided me with some memorable experiences and fearful moments but being up there has topped them all.
Then we were off again. What followed was a hair raising scramble come climb along Striding Edge. This was right on the edge of my comfort, with terrifying drops to both left and right. I have always said that I have no desire to attempt rock climbing, but I astounded myself. I absolutely loved it.



Well I'm safely sitting in a pub in Patterdale, using their Wi-Fi to send this; two pints of Guinness are tonight's ration, then it is back to a fantastic campsite which is right on the edge of the lake.
I am sure that I will settle in my sleeping bag, with it's new fleecy liner, with a warm glow as a result of a wonderful, wonderful day.

Take care.

Rob.




virginmoneygiving.com/RobSetter

No comments:

Post a Comment