Tuesday 10 May 2011

To the Edge and Beyond

I am sitting at a computer in the Youth Hostel where I am staying.
I must say that it is a relief to be able to type on a normal sized keypad and not stuggling to apply my enormous finger-tips to a Blackberry's key-pad. For example what I have just written would take me about 10 minutes of frustration as I am constantly tapping the key next to, above or below the one I actually want. So there is every chance that I will write quite a long blog today.
So, what kind of day have I had?
The truth is, as far as walking goes it was the shortest walk so far. The guide book says it is about 9 miles. I started walking at about 8.30 and arrived here in Grasmere at about 2.00. I checked into the Butharlyp Howe Youth Hostel, had a wonderful shower (this shower ranks right up there as one of my best ever). Strolled into Grasmere town and became a tourist and a shopaholic for a couple of hours. The things that I bought were
1) 2 energy sachets to replace the two that I have used.
2) a fleece sleeping bag liner so that I have a night of camping when I am cosy and not chilly.
3) a pair of rubber ferrals for my walking poles, so that I am not driven mad by the constant tapping as I walk on anything but grass and mud.
4) a small packet of Rennies (other brands of anti-acid are also available) because I have already had to use what I have brought.
5) a pair of ear plugs, because my last experience of sleeping in a room with another man resulted in much unhappiness due to his snoring. Actually there was a time when I was forced - due to lack of space - to share a bed with my best friend. Not only did he snore but he became confused about who he was sleeping with and applied a loving arm around my chest bringing his all too familiar face close to mine. I tried sleeping on the floor but the snoring drove me to try to find another room. I made my way to the sitting room where I knew there was a sofa. To my horror another of my friends had beaten me to it and was snoring away, as happy as Larry. A terrible night.
6) A copy of the Guardian. I probably will not read very much of it, but I am really craving my daily fix of a criptic crossword and I am already halfway through it.
7) A bar of Green and Blacks (other brands etc) milk chocolate. Not the sophisticated 99% cocoa stuff that Jennie like to burn her throat on. In fact if they had sold Galaxy (other etc) I would have bought that instead.

Now to tell you about today's walk.

If you have followed my last two blogs, you will have read me bleating on about the weather. Well I do not intend to labour the point, but today's unbelievable climactic performance absolutely trumps the lot.
When I left Borrowdale this morning it was raining steadily. Within 30 minutes and co-insiding with the beginning of an incredibly long and arduous climb up to Ling Crag and then on to Greenup Edge Pass, I witnessed such wind, hail and cold as I have ever experienced in my 56 years. For safety I stuck with a group of 5. I am so glad that I did because at times I really feared for the safety of all of us. When I was completely soaked through and still had a way to go I started to feel light headed and freezing cold. I called to the group to stop and we huddled in a bit of a shelter and ate something. I had an energy gel and realised why I have been lugging a spare fleece around with me. In the driving rain and hail I stripped down to one wet layer and put on the lovely dry fleece. My mood was instantly lifted. After that it was much better as the rain stopped and we were sheltered from the wind.
Anyway I arrived safely and tired here at this lovely Youth Hostel.

The time is running out on my internet card so I will sign off now.

First I will say that although it was scary today, I wouldn't have traded in the feeling of togetherness that I experienced with 5 total strangers.

Take care

Rob

virginmoneygiving.com/RobSetter

2 comments:

  1. so when you said early I wasn't thinking 3.30am .... Top Man !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Rob. You surely are through the worst weather now. As for the mystery groper in the night,it surely must make you question your selection of friends!!!!

    Nothing about our wonderful English scenery? I guess it was somewhat obscured by our wonderful English weather.

    Keep on truckin'!!

    ReplyDelete