Sunday 8 May 2011

I'd rather be walking


What a journey and what made me believe that it would be relaxing and enjoyable. I fooled myself.
It all started well. Got up early enough to feel that I had plenty of time to spare, pottered about until I suddenly realised that time was frittering away and there was no time to spare. Jennie drove me to the station. I was quite emotional as I said goodbye to Jennie, knowing that I would not see her again for 14 long days and nights.
I bought a Guardian, got on the train, found my reserved seat with a table and settled down to enjoy the ride to Manchester Picadilly.
Everything was fine until I got to Taunton when I spotted a family noisily making their way along the platform. They got onto my carriage and everybody looked up to see what the commotion was all about. Banging into passengers and squabbling with each other they advanced in my direction. Horror of horrors, they had the 5 seats that surrounded mine. 2 hours later they got off at Birmingham and I took out my ear phones.
Eight hours after I left Exeter, I arrived in St Bees. It was pouring.
I found my BandB, checked in, had a shower and then set out to explore the small town.
As I write this I am sitting in the pub just across the road from where I am staying, drinking my second and final pint of Jenning's Cumberland ale, having just enjoyed a delicious chicken, leek and mushroom pie and veg. Then I am off to my bed.
One last thing, when I arrived at the BandB, an elderly local gentleman said something to me that sounded like “gurf ningel nurf“. I nodded at him and he said it again. I said “I'm sorry but I didn't understand you. “Gurfen tan in ningel nurf“ he replied. I smiled and walked away.
I start walking tomorrow at about 10.00.

Take care.

Rob.

virginmoneygiving.com/RobSetter

1 comment:

  1. Not wishing to alarm you, but "Gurfen tan in ningel nurf" is an ancient Celtic phrase relating to the size, or lack thereof, of one's personal equipment. I'd deck him if you spot him again.
    And good luck. Will follow the saga from afar as we are off to Orkney tomorrow and not sure my phone will hook up to the site too well. Keep taking the Jennings.
    Tan Ningel

    ReplyDelete