Monday 16 May 2011

What a slog

Friday 13 May 2011
Shap to Kirkby Stephen is 21 miles but it felt like a lot more. In fact it was more because the small group I was with became hopelessly lost. I think we walked about 24 miles.
I started the day walking with a delightful dairy farmer from Gloucestershire called Richard. As we walked, I took the opportunity to quiz him about farming practises both past and present. I used my extensive knowledge of farming that I've picked up from 30 years of listening to the Archers so that I could hold my own in our conversation, but I think Richard was humouring me. Richard is doing the walk to raise money for the ”Help for Heroes” charity. His son is in the forces and has experienced the loss of his best friend. When he told the charity that he would be walking for them, they supplied him with all the clothes that he would need. As a result he is walking in camouflage. Most people on the walk haven't seen him.
At the end of an exhausting day it was great to arrive at Kirkby Stephen and enjoy a fantastic shower. Then off to the pub for a lovely beef and ale pie and 2 pints of Bomber ale.
I fell into my tent, utterly shattered.

Take care.

Rob.

virginmoneygiving.com/RobSetter

No comments:

Post a Comment