Tuesday 17 May 2011

My friends across the pond

Day 10. Richmond to Danby Wiske
14 miles - Total 139 miles done.

When you last heard from me I was just about to settle down for a sleep of hibernation proportions. I put on the television and discovered that "Sixth Sense" was about to start. Perfect, a film that I didn't want to watch; which is just as well because I was asleep before the credits were over. I don't even remember turning off the telly. Come to think of it I don't remember anything until I woke at about 7.00 am. Anyone who knows about my insomniacal habits (I think I have just made up a word) will be aware how rare it is for me to sleep for so long. I made myself the obligatory cup of "English Breakfast" tea, then went downstairs to breakfast.
There are certain things that I only ever eat for breakfast when I am staying in a hotel or B&B.
"I'll have the porridge, followed by smoked haddock and poached eggs please".
It was delicious. I'll have a breakfast like this every morning before I go to work, from now on.
Sadly and with a lump in my throat, I said goodbye to my lovely, lovely room, but not before helping myself to two sachets of hot chocolate and the shampoo, conditioner and shower gel; a practice which is compulsory and welcomed by all B&B owners.

Can I point out that there has been a criticism of my use of grammar in these blogs. What my lovely daughter Lucy fails to realise is that her lovely mother and my lovely wife Jennie is editing these rambles. And doing a fine job too.

At 9.15 I hit the road and walked alone for an hour or so; lost in my thoughts and humming a merry tune. I saw in the distance two fellow walkers and soon caught them up. I had briefly met with Steve and Sandra (or Sam as she prefers to be called) before. Steve and Sam are Americans. I remember seeing Steve in a pub in St Bees on the night before I (and they) started walking. I didn't know them then. What I witnessed was just like a scene from "Fawlty Towers".
"A gin and tonic and a Manhattan cocktail, please innkeeper".
The landlady placed a gin and tonic on the bar.
"I'm sorry sir, but we don't have that drink you asked for. Would you like anything else?"
"Not really. And wadda ya mean you don't have it. You have to make it."
In true British custom, a hush fell across the bar and all the customers (including me) looked at the floor.
"You take 1 part bourbon and a half a part sweet martini", said Steve.
"Is that 1 measure of bourbon sir?"
"How the hell should I know. Ok, make it one measure, and add a half a measure of sweet martini, some bitters, crushed ice and top it off with a cocktail cherry. Is that possible. Please".
"I'm ever so sorry sir, but I can't sell you a half measure of sweet martini. I can only sell full measures"
"You're kidding me right. What the heck? Ok, sell me a full measure and I'll pour half of it away."
Eventually, following a discussion about not having any crushed ice, but having plenty of cherries and a bottle of bitters, Steve got his Manhattan cocktail and he was extremely polite to the "inn keeper" as he disappeared into the beer garden.
Everybody in the bar looked up from the floor and continued their conversations as if nothing had happened.
It is possible that Steve bought another Manhattan. But I left the pub soon after the free entertainment was concluded.
Anyway, I walked with Steve and Sam for about 3 hours today and they were great company. I discovered that they come from New Hampshire. Steve used to be a diplomat and travelled the world, with Sam, rubbing shoulders with some pretty powerful people. I'm sure he could tell a few stories, if he got drunk. When we arrived at The White Swan at Danby Wiske, where we are staying, (them in the pub and poor old me in the garden), Steve bought me a pint.

Right, it is now 6.30 pm and I am going into the pub to eat and to try to get Stevie boy drunk.

"Inn keeper. Two Manhattan cocktails".

Take care.

Rob.

virginmoneygiving.com/RobSetter

1 comment:

  1. Rob, I'm astounded that you would stoop so low as to pass the buck to Jenny for any weak grammar. Man up and take responsibility!!!!!!

    Clearly in sight of the finishing line. Well done though there's a disproportionate weight of reference to alcohol consumption!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete